Thursday, April 30, 2020

Lectio Divina for the Fourth Week of Easter



Lectio Divina for the Fourth Week of Easter

We begin our prayer:

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Almighty ever-living God, lead us to a share in the joys of heaven, so that the humble flock may reach where the brave Shepherd has gone before. Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

(Collect, Fourth Sunday of Easter)

Reading (Lectio)

Read the following Scripture two or three times.

John 10:1-10

Jesus said: “Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever does not enter a sheepfold through the gate but climbs over elsewhere is a thief and a robber. But whoever enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens it for him, and the sheep hear his voice, as the shepherd calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has driven out all his own, he walks ahead of them, and the sheep follow him, because they recognize his voice. But they will not follow a stranger; they will run away from him, because they do not recognize the voice of strangers.” Although Jesus used this figure of speech, the Pharisees did not realize what
he was trying to tell them. So Jesus said again, “Amen, amen, I say to you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. A thief comes only to steal and slaughter and destroy; I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly.”

Meditation (Meditatio)

After the reading, take some time to reflect in silence on one or more of the following questions:

• What word or words in this passage caughtyour attention?
• What in this passage comforted you?
• What in this passage challenged you?

If practicing lectio divina as a family or in a group, after the reflection time, invite the participants to share their responses.

Prayer (Oratio)

Read the Scripture passage one more time. Bring to the Lord the praise, petition, or thanksgiving that the Word inspires in you.

Contemplation (Contemplatio)

Read the Scripture again, followed by this reflection:

What conversion of mind, heart, and life is the Lord asking of me? The shepherd calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. How can I discern God’s call for me? What is God leading me to do? But they will not follow a stranger; they will run away from him, because they do not recognize the voice of strangers. What voices call me away from Christ? What temptations do I need to run away from? I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly. When do I feel most alive? What can draw me closer to God in those moments? After a period of silent reflection and/or discussion, all recite the Lord’s Prayer and the following:

Closing Prayer:

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; he refreshes my soul. He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side. With your rod and your staff that give me courage. You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

(From Psalm 23)

Living the Word This Week How can I make my life a gift for others in charity? Pray for those discerning a vocation to the priesthood, the consecrated life, or the permanent diaconate.

Text from USCCB
Original Text from USCCB

Comment:

No comments: